Saturday, November 20, 2010

THE SINS OF THE ARTIST SHALL BESET UPON HIS FANS

The topic of conversation is usually music. It's fits my snarky public persona.  People love to talk about their music, from the propaganda queen of pop radio to the underground king in his basement. We continue to create the personal soundtracks to our lives to add depth to our moments. A person that is passionate about music can flash back to a moment of time where they associate a song or artist with an event. Sometimes their eyes light up and dance because the song represents a defining moment. Sometimes their eyes go down for a second and they pause in the present because the song was associated with a pain they never let go of the past. Our expressions tell our stories whether we are trying to communicate them or not. Our music is important to us which has led me to the question. Why are we settling? We are settling for different reasons but the truth is we are settling when it comes to our music. This goes beyond the limitations of age because the language of music is universal. It's a personal question with a between you and your music but the future where the radio is playing jingles of Oscar Myer and people are jamming to it in the movie Demolition Man, which was harsh man, are not unrealistic in this fan's mind. I have several theories on why fans are settling but I only know my own. I was being exposed to new genres and I was embracing them learning about groups that I had only heard of. The more I listened the more I realized I knew this music. I kept waiting to introduce this group to Hip-Hop, Techno, and House but I settled for the gray areas of Metal where we had some common ground. I challenged this group constantly along the way. I understood why they liked it because it was classic but I couldn't find the goal in all the smoke. I finally realized I was alone musically so attached myself to a few artist of today and of the past and put my volume up real real loud. I became a one man show to the public. Someone was going to hear me right. I got frustrated with my situation and I started to turn on the music that made me. The lack of something new was my own fault. I stopped looking I settled for what was on the radio and stopped living. The past was bothering my present but I started to asked myself why do love this artist and begin to realize I needed new music in my life. The future and my happiness depended on it. I am a fan of artist that emphasize on real life. I was lucky I had two of the realest artist in music on my side. I wrote a blog about an upcoming Mary J. Blige concert which featured her top 15 songs then I applied it to my own life. The results left me in awe. I liked it because I knew it was true and I knew I lived it. I realized I enjoyed living the music. I enjoyed watching an artist come from the bottom and rise to the top. I knew at that moment what I wanted to do with my life after 29 years of living I started to put my crates in the closet and I flipped out my laptop. I knew it was out there. It's always out there I choose not to find it for whatever reason. The alter egos of the past were finally buried and set up the songs. Mary J. Blige was on one playlist, she is the only artist with enough soul for my HEART. Kanye West was on the other playlist because his music is inspiring. He was the only artist that could satisfy my SOUL. I knew there was trouble on the horizon and these demons weren't about to just go away.  I had no idea that the monsters I created were about to test my dream. My life was about to change forever and music was about to become my religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment