Wednesday, November 10, 2010

THIS IS MY LIFE...ON THE RADIO.

This is a re-post my old blog February 11, 2010. It was an unlikely story caught in the Party Rock Chronicles.

Everybody it’s my party and if you cannot handle the flashing lights or the club sounds then step aside because my shine is may be bright but it will never let you down. I will always put music first in my life because it is a constant but let’s step away from the music and see what life is like through words of the RADIO. I am going to talk about one of the hidden things about myself.....

I am fan of radio. When I am alone or feeling lonely I listen to talk radio. The first voice that got my attention was Jay Marvin on WLS. Jay was very intimate with his fans. He talked about being a Bi-Polar Manic Depressive. I started to become educated that depression was a real condition. He made it easier to come to terms with my own depression and overcome it. Jay was righteous in his battles for diversity and did not shy away from the fact that Chicago was city still plagued with racism. It is funny because years later while working at factory in Chicago I learned that what he was saying was very true. He battled from the heart when tackling a subjects of politics or hard knocks. Jay was real in a world were Right Winged Politics ruled the air waves. I got to meet Jay Marvin one time in front of a Barnes and Noble. I noticed him from car standing in front of the book store. I parked and I ran right up to him. I was very excited because I wanted give him respect. I remember I was wearing my Starter White Sox Jersey and thought…I wondered what the public perception of this scenario was. I was a little ghetto Latin kid is running up to the big white guy with a beard. When you are that age you worry about what everyone else is thinking and you always thinking the spotlight is on you. I didn’t care what anyone thought for one second because this was the moment to finally give respect to one of heroes in my life. I went up to Jay and told him just what a difference his words have made in my life. I turned into a fan boy and asked for his autograph. I am not sure if Jay realized it but his mission of diversity was staring him right in eyes and I think the significance could have been overlooked. It shows two different people from two different worlds forever connected because of their words. I may have changed dramatically from the kid that wanted the autograph and I don’t know where Jay is spitting his words versus the ones I write now. This became a defining moment where the kid at heart lives inside of me was able to see inspiration. There will always be part of me that will want to be that guy on the radio who is connected with the people. Conventional wisdom and authority my remind us, “We should not share ideas.” Jay broke down the genres of life and his words live on in this fan’s head.....

No comments:

Post a Comment