Saturday, May 21, 2011

FLYING ELBOWS ON VHS: THE MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE


It's honor to name the first ever inductee into The 8R8 HALL OF FAME....THE MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE. He was the kind of wrestler you wanted to be as a kid. I think back 3 days ago when I was standing on top of chair cutting my best Macho Man promo as I attempted to drop a flying elbow onto my significant other. I didn't drop that elbow though because of fear. I talked the good talk but couldn't fly like Randy Savage. I think about all times he dropped the elbow with no fear and sacrificed his body to entertain wrestling fans all around the world and know he was something special. The very first Pay Per View I purchased was SummerSlam 1991. I was twelve years old and I couldn't miss the wedding between the Macho Man and Miss Elizabeth. It was the match made in heaven to then WWF fans. I saved up my money all summer for that pay per view and was crushed when I realized my sister's VCR didn't record the program. I was so into the event that I was able to watch it again and again in my head and imagination so in a way I absorbed it all. The wedding didn't define the Macho Man's career. I started to become a smart wrestling fan as I scrambled to watch any tape I could get my hands on and learned the history. I started to realize The Macho produced great matches against wrestlers like Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior whom most of the fans cheered for. His match with Ricky the Dragon Steamboat at Wrestlemania III is considered by some wrestling fans as the greatest match of all time. I can tell you he was a multiple time World Champion and he held just about every major title in both the WWF and WCW but those accolades did not make him a permanent staple in American Pop Culture. It was his heart. His in ring abilities showcased a talent that was way before his time. We will never forget his interviews and promos that are still being mimicked by comedians like Daniel Tosh and entire generation of YouTube impersonators today. Professional wrestler Jay Lethal called himself Black Machismo which was a character inspired by Randy Savage. They say imitation is the one of the best forms of flattery and it is true some gimmicks never die. The Macho Man was more than a champion and more than a Hall of Fame-er. He was the wrestler I wanted to be as a kid. I am honored and fortunate to be one of his fans. I didn't drop that elbow 3 days ago because of fear but my hero, The Macho Man, was never afraid to fly. Welcome to The 8R8 Hall of Fame of Life Randy Savage. You more than deserve it.

1 comment:

  1. Check out this great video package courtesy of WWE which aired on Monday Night Raw on 5/23/11. They really hit the nail on the head for me.

    ReplyDelete