Friday, May 6, 2011

TEAR JERKING PAGES #2 :OH MY GOD, IT'S JASON TODD



Some people don’t read comic books because they have no idea where to start. When I recommend comics for people that don't read comics books, BATMAN: HUSH is at the top of the list. Jeph Loeb, one of my favorite comic book writers, and the legendary artist Jim Lee produced, in my opinion, one of the greatest Batman story ever told. Some of the covers are breath taking works of art.  The words and storytelling are as stimulating as a Hyper Crush laser show. This story is packed with some of Batman's greatest foes but the mystery around the main villain Hush is what makes this series an awesome read. You can learn in any of the Batman films that Bruce Wayne is the evolution of the human brain when it comes to intelligence. The depths of his psyche are explored in Hush as his mind is put to the test. It took subliminal warfare to breach Batman's mind. Jeph Loeb's story telling in this series is genius. When I describe Hush to potential readers I describe it is part psychological thriller, mystery, action, suspense, drama, and love story. I am certain I am leaving a genre or two out because this tale truly has something for everyone. Loeb took Batman and Catwoman to places that this average fan boy would only dream about. The chemistry between these two characters highlighted one of the most mysterious and intriguing love stories set among the chaos of Gotham. I remember reading BATMAN #617 and having to run and tell my parents, who didn't read comics, about what just happened. I was so shocked I just had to tell anyone that would listen. BATMAN #617 was part 10 of the series and it left me reeling when these words were spoken by Hush, “The world's greatest detective, and you still haven't figured it out? Life's just a game, Batman... and this time, you lose.” The mummified wrapping came off to reveal Hush's true identity. It was a shocking moment and it appeared that Hush’s identity was a bombshell in form of one the most infamous Robins in the Batman Universe. Jason Todd was murdered by the Joker in the Death in the Family series which was published in 1989. The fans actually decided Robin's fate in that book. It rocked my world to see Jason holding a knife to the neck of the current Robin. (Tim Drake) The death of Robin was a very controversial moment for DC Comics that was well publicized in media. It marked the death of major character in the DC Universe and a kid for heaven’s sake. The look on Batman’s face as I turned the pages for the reveal was where I emotionally connected. I shared the emotion of shock in the pit of my stomach as I watched a stunned Batman stand in disbelief. This moment left me as a reader with the true uncertainty of where Hush was really going to go next. Loeb reminded me that I still had two more issues to go in this series. In the world of comics sometimes people, places, and things are not what always what they seem. There would be years of amazing Batman stories to come but Hush will stand the test of time as one of the greatest Batman stories ever told. This issue didn't produce tears from my eyes, but being a fan of Batman and knowing how the death of Jason Todd haunted him throughout the years had me emotionally invested in the story to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment