Monday, December 27, 2010

WHAT I LOVED MOST SHE HAD SO MUCH SOUL

Teena Marie was one of those that didn't dominate the Pop Charts but her voice will forever be mainstream in the heart's of her true fans. Her legacy in genre of Rhythm and Blues was part my of education in Soul. Her contribution to soul told the story of artist's connection with love. She leaves us all with very personal songs in the soundtracks of our lives. She is part of the handful of artist that brought meaning to the words of the people around me with a direct finger pointing at my sister. My sister was responsible for a my connection with Rhythm and Blues and Soul. My sister didn't just play a song. She told the story behind the song. She associated the music with real people in her life and the events around it. My sister taught me how to make this connection with music and Teena Marie is one of the artist she loves. I love to try to play stereotypical brother today because of the lack of what was normal in our lives when we were young. Christmas Day 2010 I was blaming my sister for The 8R8 being connected with Teena Marie as Fire and Desire played in the backgound. Truth is I am honored. To know that a I shared the moment of seeing her for the first time with my sister makes me feel closer to complete as a person. I didn't expect it to turn out to be one of those storybook concerts but it did with a single rose. These are the moments that make forever. I will never forget an artist like Teena Marie. She is reminds me of what I my sister taught me in life. This is one of the reasons why my soul runs deeper than the crates of my music collection.

1 comment:

  1. Spoken like a true Teena fan. I am still in disbelief. You hit it right on when you said she tells the stories of our lives. She was a true poet and I am also so glad that we got to share the concert together on my birthday. Who would of thought that my brother surrounded by hungry Teena fans, who all jumped like Jordan would have been the one to catch that kissed and tossed rose. I couldn't have asked for a better present. Thank You again bro and R.I.P. Lady "T".

    ReplyDelete