Thursday, December 16, 2010

DAMIEN'S NOTES: TRACK NUMBERS 1-6


What was the greatest year of your life? The number 2010 with two explanation points! This was my year. The accomplishment of pulling off what did has put The 8R8 on the map.

JANUARY: started off with a simple wrestling show in the city where I was born. There was nothing fancy about the show and it was not televised but the fact that this would be my nephew's first wrestling show made it special. We sat traditionally at the top of the same small civic center venue where I viewed my first wrestling show at. I learned my nephew was as charismatic and funny as his uncle that night. The interaction showed me the hope had been missing in my life. The kid's optimistic eyes gave me a sense that the future was going to be bright. I started to focus on Grammy Night in LATE JANUARY only because LMFAO were nominated for Best Electronic Album of the Year. They didn't win but they brought meaning to the word ELECTRO with their nominations and became The Kings of the young genre in my opinion. LMFAO's nomination inspired me to write the Party Rock Chronicles which brought the fun back to my writing.

FEBRUARY 22TH: I decided to try something new in my dating life. I had two tickets to Monday Night Raw in Indianapolis so I decided to have a first date night at a wrestling show. The 3 hour drive to Indianapolis was going to have be done in less than 2 hours because we slept in. I hated being late for the introduction of a live wrestling show because I love the pyre techniques and the initial pop from the fans. I drove fast, okay, I drove very very fast to The Conseco Fieldhouse. I will admit I ran through the stadium like a maniac but we did get to our seats with 3 minutes to spare. There was obvious tension building up between me and my date and I brushed it off throughout the night. The thoughts in my head had me feeding this person to the rabid wrestling fans and cheering them on. I learned there is a degree of endurance that goes along with being next to me. There came a moment close to the end of the show where I had to make a choice between Triple H or my date. Triple H won that match with a the words Suck It to anyone that missed the match. I had abandon my date for wrestling but if you can't handle me for one show there is good chance I am not the guy for you. I decided honesty would be best so we ended the date in Indianapolis. The fastest trip to Indy had suddenly become the longest ride back to Chicago. Crazy me.

FEBRUARY 25TH: This marked my first Hyper Crush concert in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I remember inviting a friend along to the show but he bailed out on me last minute. I decided to make the trip solo because one of my goals for of the year was to follow the group by writing about them and it was time to measure the heart behind the sounds. The live performance gave a chance to connect with the fans and the group. The fact that they had no problem signing an autograph or posing for a picture with there fans let me know this was the right group follow. This was the first time I introduced myself as a writer to an artist. I was very nervous. I could hear myself on repeat saying it over and over again till my head almost exploded. I remember rushing back home after the show to write TAKE ME INTO THE FUTURE.

MARCH 26TH: actually started the day prior. The opportunity to see Kid Cudi at Purdue University arose. I drove to Purdue the day before the show to secure a front row ticket and still made it to work on time that day. The controversy kicked in and real decisions about friends from the past had to be addressed before I could escape into the music. This was my first opportunity to have an actual seat front row for a show. I didn't think real life test me to see how bad I really wanted it. I had to develop a plan that involved sacrifice that night. My intentions were to make everyone happy. The music never felt this good. The silence and bad feeling opened up my heart. They can't love me if they have no idea who I really am. This was selfish on the surface but personally it was an accomplishment of growth. The truth came out like an volcano destroying years of friendship the span of 5 text messages. I could have said and done what was expected of me to re-kindle a friendship where my passions had never been accepted. We may never speak again but I know I did the right thing for both us by unleashing my emotions. The offering of my Man on the Moon bracelet to Kid Cudi showed me that there was friendship and unity all around me with a Generation Undefined. To write history I needed to start leaving the negativity of my past behind.

THE MONTHS AHEAD: My dreams started to take over my life. I watch my confidence as a person grow by adding definition to the words in my head. There was evil lurking in the shadows of my world. There were moments when I just had to block it all out. I went into denial and really didn't believe I was important enough to targeted. The test taught me how to stand my ground and make it to the next show. The lesson was restraint over my basic instinct to react. There was no shortage of character being built. I watched myself struggle with new ideas and unique people to find a different perspective on life. I started opening eyes including my own. I started to understand that initially I would have be own biggest fan and believe in my words in order for others to understand them. I needed an office away from home with a strong connection to music and nightlife. My interactions of randomness were the material that gave me the insight of a new generation. I looked like the rude guy at the club or bar that was text messaging while he was out and about. They didn't know my attention was on them as I wrote story after story into the night. This was different territory for me. Suddenly I wasn't wasted at the end of my nights. The discussion of passions and dreams always had a different spin by the authors. The way there eyes lite up when they turned the pages in their heads became inspiring. My best stories are being written right now in my office while I am living in the moment with all of you. This was the key to it all. My dreams could no longer stay locked inside my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment